- Mobile phones send and receive calls as radio waves.
- Radio waves are picked up by the nearest phone mast, and relayed to the other person’s mobile.
- A mobile phone loses signal if there are no masts nearby.
- Signal can be blocked by thick walls and other barriers.
Spark a discussion
- How do mobile phones send and receive calls?
- Why is it harder to get a phone signal in the countryside?
- What can block a phone signal?
Explore our resources
Complete your lesson with teaching resources on sound from Tigtag.
Go to Tigtag