- A thundercloud contains many small bits of ice and water, which move around and bash into each other.
- If the ice and water bits inside a thundercloud collide enough times, these collisions can create a huge spark of electricity. This is lightning!
- Lightning heats up the air around it very quickly, which causes a big sound wave: thunder.
- Earth systems
Spark a discussion
- How is lightning made?
- Why can lightning be dangerous?
- How can you stay safe if you are caught outside in a storm?
Explore our resources
Complete your lesson with teaching resources on sound and energy from Tigtag.
Go to Tigtag