- Astronauts have to exercise for two hours a day to counter the effects of weightlessness on their bones and muscles.
- The ISS has three pieces of specially adapted gym equipment: an exercise bike, a treadmill and a machine that simulates weightlifting.
- This equipment is designed to make up for the lack of gravity on the ISS. For example, the treadmill has a harness that pulls the astronaut towards it.
Spark a discussion
- Why is it important for astronauts to exercise in space?
- What effect does weightlessness have on the body?
- How else might weightlessness affect astronauts' daily lives? Can you think of any activities that would be easier on the ISS than on Earth?
Explore our resources
Complete your lesson with teaching resources on mass from Tigtag.
Go to Tigtag