- Researchers have developed a technique that makes pieces of metal float in water. This technique could eventually be used to create boats that never sink.
- Scientists who discovered six new species of ant have created an augmented reality app to allow people anywhere in the world to examine the specimens.
- BRUIE is an underwater rover designed to explore the ice-covered oceans of Jupiter’s moon, Europa. NASA is now testing the rover in Antarctica.
- Augmented reality
Video viewing guide
This graphic organiser supports your students to capture their thoughts and questions as they watch the news update.
Spark a discussion
Metal That Never Sinks
- What does superhydrophobic mean?
- How do the pieces of metal trap air?
- Can you think of any other uses for the floating metal pieces?
App for Examining Ants
- What is augmented reality?
- Why did the scientists decide to create an augmented reality app?
- Have you ever used augmented reality? What was it like?
- How does BRUIE’s design make it suited to exploring ice-covered oceans?
- Why is NASA testing BRUIE in Antarctica?
- If there are living things on Europa, what do you think they might be like? Why?
Use these resources to get the most out of the news update and engage your class in topical science!