- Malaysia’s last remaining Sumatran rhino has died. Sumatran rhinos are critically endangered due to threats such as hunting and habitat destruction.
- In order to provide global internet access, SpaceX has begun launching 12,000 satellites into orbit around the Earth. However, astronomers have warned that the project is having a negative impact on their work.
- A designer has developed an environmentally-friendly alternative to plastic. MarinaTex is made from fish waste and can be composted at home.
Video viewing guide
This graphic organiser supports your students to capture their thoughts and questions as they watch the news update.
Spark a discussion
- Why are Sumatran rhinos critically endangered?
- Do you think it’s a good idea to keep Sumatran rhinos in sanctuaries, instead of leaving them in the wild? Why or why not?
- Do you know of any other endangered animals? What threats do they face?
- What do astronomers study?
- Why are astronomers concerned about Starlink?
- Do you think the Starlink project is a good idea? Why or why not?
Fish Waste Plastic
- What is MarinaTex?
- How is MarinaTex similar to, and different from, plastic?
- Can you think of other ways waste can be used to make something new?
Use these resources to get the most out of the news update and engage your class in topical science!