- World-famous scientist and author Stephen Hawking died on March 14th, aged 76.
- A huge arch that forms part of the Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina has collapsed.
- Scientists in the Republic of the Congo have filmed rare footage of a newborn western lowland gorilla being cared for by its mother.
Spark a discussion
- What was Professor Stephen Hawking best known for? Why do you think he inspired people around the world?
- How does the ice arch form at the Perito Moreno Glacier, and why does it collapse? How is this glacier different from most other glaciers in the world? Why are many glaciers in the world shrinking?
- How do gorilla mothers protect their newborns? What do you think scientists can learn from the video footage? If you were a researcher, what animal would you like to study?
Discover more about the topics covered in this week's News update
Explore our resources
Complete your lesson with teaching resources from Tigtag.
Go to Tigtag