- The local government in Omaui, New Zealand, is planning to ban people from owning cats in order to protect wild birds.
- A hole has been found in the wall of a spacecraft docked at the International Space Station.
- Scientists have discovered that goats prefer smiley human faces to angry-looking ones.
Video viewing guide
This graphic organiser supports your students to capture their thoughts and questions as they watch the news update.
Spark a discussion
- Do you think a ban on pet cats is a good idea? Why or why not?
- Can you think of any other ways to stop pet cats attacking wild animals?
- Apart from cats, what other kinds of threats do you think wild animals – such as birds – face around the world?
- What does the Russian space agency think caused the hole in the Soyuz spacecraft? Can you think of any other possible explanations?
- Why do you think an oxygen leak on the International Space Station could be a problem?
- If you could visit the International Space Station, what would you do there? Why?
Goats prefer smiles
- Why do you think the goats approached the smiley faces first, instead of the angry-looking ones?
- Why do you think the researchers want to find out whether goats can recognise human emotions?
- Imagine you could do an experiment to learn something new about an animal. Which animal would you choose, and what would you want to find out?