- NASA engineers have test-fired a powerful new rocket in the Utah desert. The rocket will form part of a new ‘Space Launch System’ – a giant rocket that NASA aim to use to take humans back to the moon in 2024.
- An endangered Western chimpanzee has given birth to a healthy baby at a zoo in the UK. It is hoped new members of the species born safely in captivity will help the chimpanzees survive into the future.
- Two Russian data scientists have taught a robot how to paint! Using ‘neural networks’ the robot learns how to paint by studying art created by human artists.
Video viewing guide
This graphic organiser supports your students to capture their thoughts and questions as they watch the news update.
Spark a discussion
- What did you learn about NASA’s new rocket?
- Why do you think the rocket needs to be so powerful?
- Would you travel to the moon if you were given the opportunity?
- Where do Western chimpanzees live in the wild?
- Why do you think chimpanzees are endangered?
- Do you think zoos are good places for endangered species to live?
Robot Learns To Paint
- What did you learn about robots from the video?
- How did the data scientists teach their robot how to paint?
- Do you think robots will ever be as artistic as humans?
Use these resources to get the most out of the news update and engage your class in topical science!