- In January, a shift in the polar vortex brought extremely low temperatures to parts of North America. However, scientists pointed out that winters are still getting warmer overall.
- Using a huge net on top of a boat, SpaceX has been trying to catch rocket parts in order to re-use them.
- The government of Komodo is worried that its famous dragons are getting too used to eating food left by tourists, instead of hunting their natural prey.
- Polar vortex
Video viewing guide
This graphic organiser supports your students to capture their thoughts and questions as they watch the news update.
Spark a discussion
- What is the polar vortex?
- How do you think the extreme cold affected people’s lives?
- Have you ever experienced unusually hot, cold, wet or dry weather? How did you stay safe and comfortable?
Catching Rocket Parts
- Why is SpaceX trying to catch payload fairings as they fall back to the Earth?
- Why do you think the payload fairings release parachutes as they fall towards the ocean?
- Imagine SpaceX has asked you to design an alternative way to catch the fairings. What would your design be like?
Komodo a No-No
- Why is the government of Komodo thinking about banning tourists?
- What benefits might tourists bring to Komodo?
- Do you think the local government should ban tourists from the island altogether? Why or why not?
Use these resources to get the most out of the news update and engage your class in topical science!