- An asteroid crashed into Earth over 66 million years ago.
- Scientists think the asteroid impact caused a mass extinction on Earth.
- It is believed that this asteroid impact killed 75% of species, including dinosaurs.
Read the story
Earlier this year, scientists successfully drilled into a giant crater made by the asteroid that killed off the dinosaurs. Researchers are now studying the rock samples that were taken during the 2-month drilling project, looking for clues about life on Earth 66 million years ago.
Share with students
Spark a discussion
- Where is the Chicxulub Crater located?
- How do scientists think the crater formed?
- Why did scientists drill into the crater, and what did they hope to accomplish?