- Wildfires are most commonly started by human carelessness, such as unattended campfires.
- Water bombers are planes that can drop thousands of litres of water onto the hottest spots of a wildfire.
- Firebreaks are areas of land that a wildfire can’t travel over, because they are free of fuel.
- Natural disasters
Read the story
The worst wildfires in California’s history have been burning their way across the state, forcing people to leave their homes and schools to close.
Share with students
Spark a discussion
- What is the main cause of wildfires, and how can we prevent them?
- How can planes help fight wildfires?
- How can firefighters try to starve the wildfires of fuel from the ground?